Skip to main content

YACC Retreat and Munchie's Birthday :):)

MONDAY NOVEMBER 24TH 2014 @ 3:00pm: relaxing and going to pick Alyssa up from daycare shortly

HOW I FEEL: tired


I've been sitting here for the last half an hour or so staring at this computer screen trying to decide where to start with this blog post.  I have so much I want to share just unsure where to start. 


I guess I'll start here ---- 7 days ago I got the privilege of attending the Young Adults with Cancer Retreat in Cobourg.  Dan and I got to spend 5 days there with a group of 35 AMAZING people.  I was a little unsure of what to expect going to this but after speaking with people who had attended prior retreats and told me it changed their lives completely, I knew I had to go and see it for myself.  The first day I found really intense; we sat in a circle all 35 of us and gave a brief introduction of ourselves and our journey.  I remember that night when I went to bed I thought to myself ‘holy shit, this is intense.’ But after spending 5 days with these amazing cancer survivors and supporters; I realize it was the best decision of my life.  I am so happy to have built lifelong friendships with everyone and look forward to connecting with everyone through our facebook group and at the survivor conference in June.  I also want to thank YACC for putting something like this together; this is a wonderful opportunity for young adult survivors to connect with each other, because after all we understand and GET IT.  We all feel the same and understand each other.   





Alyssa’s Birthday 

Saturday we had Alyssa’s Birthday Party ….. It was A-DORA-BLE lol!  She had so much FUN! The kids had a blast on the Tumblebus.  I can’t believe my babygirl is 2 years old … it’s crazy how quickly time flies.  She has turned into a beautiful, happy, energetic toddler.  She is the best thing that has ever happened to me.  






Physio

I’m starting to see big improvements and starting to see them happen on a week to week bases. I’m finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It’s been a long road with physio and it still isn’t over … I still have several more months left of improvements to make.  Today I have started taking 5 steps on my own, walking between the parallel bars.  I’m really starting to learn about the human body and the impact my surgery had on my mobility and recovery.  It’s some pretty crazy shit and a miracle almost that my type of surgery is even possible.  My goal still remains that I will be walking one day without a cane.  














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Days in ICU and in Private Room

My days in ICU were alright I guess.  I spent a lot of time sleeping.  For the first few days my blood levels were everywhere and I ended up needing more blood after the surgery.  A lot of my time in ICU was a blur.  Saturday which was day after my surgery was Alyssa's first birthday.  I can't believe she is 1 already.  I did get to see her on her birthday which was nice, but I was tired and she was in a new place and got fussy pretty quick.  The morning of her birthday my sister in law and brother were kind enough to watch her and had a mini party for her.  See some of the pics below: She had a blast for her birthday and was totally spoiled.  Back to ICU days .... My doctors had thought I'd still have the breathing tube in a few days after surgery.  Everything went so well I was moved out of ICU by Tuesday.  I was moved to my own private room, it wasn't on the floor my doctor originally wanted me to be but it would work until a room opened up.  T

December 5th ..... Received some news I didn't want to hear ....

Hmmmm where to start......today was a rough and emotional day for me.  Started off ok, had my breakfast and watched abit of TV.  Hubby came up around 10am, I always feel more at ease when he is here with me.  Around 10:30am my physio team came in......as much as they push me so hard I love the head physio lady Jodi.  She is amazing with me and makes me feel so comfortable.  Everytime they come in my anxiety gets bad, I need to somehow learn to overcome that.  They pull me into a sitting position on end of bed and then make me stand using the walker.  I don't know why I get anxious because every time I do it, it gets easier and easier.  Today it felt extremely difficult standing up, even tho my therapists told me that they weren't supporting me as much today as they normally do.  They said I did an awesome job, so I'll go with that. Last night was my first night sleeping on my new mattress, it's definitely much more comfortable then the other bed I had.  It's an ai

I MADE IT ..... I'm in Kitchener at Freeport !!!!!!!!!

First I'll apologize for being so tardy with my blog lol.........since coming to Freeport it's been a huge adjustment for me mentally, physically and emotionally.  I got here Wednesday, arrived by Patient Transfer, bumpy ride that was lol......my mom was kind enough to ride with me.  When I got here I was put in a semi private room with a bunch of old ladies.  The lady that arranges everything was kind enough to boot one of the older ladies out of a private room and I got her room.  I kinda feel bad I took a little old 90 year olds room but oh well lol......I prefer private.  I think for the first couple days she kept thinking this was her room because she would wheel herself in lol!  First off, my room is nothing like the room in Hamilton, oh well.  Mom made my bulletin board brighter by adding colour to it and even brought me a stocking to hang off it.  Such a sweet mother I have.  I am glad to be closer to home, easy for family and friends to visit.  It's very different